[netcdfgroup] Why translates nc_get_vara_float all short _FillValues to 0?

Hi,

I just was surprised by strange results from ncview when reading a
variable with 'short' values, where all data is undefined. ncview reads
all data with nc_geta_vara_float.

_FillValues are defined as -32767s. Reading undefined data with
nc_get_vara_float results in values = -0 or 0 for all _FillValues. I had
expected a value like -32767.f (or more generally, the _FillValue
translated into float)

Is the 0-result really the expected behaviour of nc_get_vara_float? I
have then no idea how to handling _FillValues correctly.

Best regards,

Heiko

--
Dr. Heiko Klein                   Norwegian Meteorological Institute
Tel. + 47 22 96 32 58             P.O. Box 43 Blindern