Re: [netcdfgroup] Record Dimension Question

" I am trying to pass a netCDF3v1 file through a virus detector-like
software (more like a firewall-like thing)  that checks for a few things to
ascertain the file is really a netCDF3 file.  The file is global lon x lat
x time (1 time step) with 4 variables."

This seems to be a very hard thing to do: Questions:

1: is this a netcdf3 file? that you can check with the first few bytes.

2: is this a VALID netcdf3 file -- if you now it's a simple file iwth these
particular 4 variables, I suppose you could check the stuff you are
checking, but it would get pretty ugly to make that more general -- it
would make more sense to run it through the netcdf C lib, and see if it's
valid.

3: is the data in the file corrupted? THAT is pretty much impossible to do
in the general case -- you can store any binary blob in a valid netcdf3
file. If you care about this, then the (to the extent I understand it)
"normal" virus scanning approach of looking for known malicious blobs may
be as good as you can do.

So I'd do (2) and run it through the netcdflib (maybe driven py Python, or
ncdump or...)

Then optionally run a regular generic virus scanner on it.

-CHB