Re: [netcdfgroup] netcdf 4.4.1.1

Bruce,

A quick check shows that there is no netcdf file by that name at the FTP
location that you gave.  That data set appears to end in 2012, but you
requested 2017.  This is confirmed by the data set documentation:

   https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.20thC_ReanV2.html

So you may be working with a zero-length file or a "file not found" error
on your system.  Why it hangs at the command prompt is something different
that I can't explain.

If you think you have a valid file by that name from a different NOAA/PSD
data set, then you can try any of these commands for more diagnostics.
These are valid on Linux; I do not know whether they are all available in
your Windows command window:

   ls -l filename
   file filename
   h5debug filename
   h5dump -BH filename
   ncdump -k filename
   ncdump -hs filename

If that last ncdump command works, it will print metadata that will
probably identify the actual data set where this file came from.

--Dave

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:03 AM, Bruce Messer <bruce.messer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder if you can help.
>
> I have just updated to netcdf 4.4.1.1 on a Windows 10 PC.
>
> I am having no luck trying to convert netcdf files to plain text and the
> process just hangs when I run it from a command prompt. Here's the batch
> file that I have always used and which has never failed till now.
>
> ECHO Started
> ncdump -b c "E:\Weather Data\Reanalysis\MSLP\nc\slp.2017.nc" >
> "C:\Weather Data\Reanalysis\MSLP\cdl\slp.2017.cdl"
> pause
>
> Is there any test file or diagnostic setting I can try that will give me a
> clue?
>
> I am only running Windows Defender and no other virus protection on this
> machine.
>
> If I type ncdump at a command prompt I can see the program
>
> [image: Inline images 1]
>
> I think I have installed the correct 64 bit version:
>
> [image: Inline images 2]
> And I am downloading data netcdf from here:
>
> ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Projects/20thC_ReanV2/monolevel
>
> Bruce Messer

PNG image

PNG image