[netcdfgroup] Chunking with Fortran netCDF: calling nf90_def_var_chunking or using chunking parameters in nf90_def_var

Dear netCDF community,

when I use Fortran netCDF to create a netCDF file with chunked data, I have to options to do this:

(a)
nf90_def_var(ncid, VAR_NAME, NF90_INT, dimids, VARID)
nf90_def_var_chunking(ncid, VARID, NF90_CHUNKED, CHUNKSIZES)

(b)
nf90_def_var(ncid, VAR_NAME, NF90_INT, dimids, VARID, chunksizes = CHUNKSIZES)

Option (a) seems to be consistent with respect to the C netCDF functions. Additionally, one finds this option via the netCDF Fortran 90 Interface Guide: https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-f90/ .

Option (b) is used in the Fortran netCDF test cases (when installing/testing netCDF-F) and in this tutorial: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/workshops/2011/nc4chunking/ChunkingExample.html . However, it is not documented here: https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-f90/NF90_005fDEF_005fVAR.html

The same situation prevails for deflating (nf90_def_var_deflate).

Is there a technical reason due to that I should prefer one of the two options? Or is it just a question of personal taste and of the readability of my code?

Kind Regards,
Daniel