Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF OPeNDAP , R and Windows

Hi Bill:

Certainly for awhile,  the R package ncdf4 on Windows did not support OpeNDAP,
but I thought the most recent version did (I may well be mistaken),  but David
Pierce is the authoritative source on this,  so I have copied him on this,  as
this is more an R issue than a netcdf issue.

Just out of curiosity,  from a Windows machine have you tried accessing an
OPeNDAP server that doesn't include a port number?

-Roy

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 10:47 AM, Capehart, William J
> <William.Capehart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello All:
>
> I have undergrad students working with the R package with tablet PCs running
> Windows that are issued by the university via RStudio since that is what they
> will be trained on when they take their stats coursework.  I am trying to set
> things up so they can access data from our OPeNDAP server.
>
> However, when windows runs it they are hit with the following error (which I
> also get on my windows build).
>
> Error in R_nc4_open: NetCDF: Unknown file format
> Error in nc_open(filename = URL_85) :
>   Error in nc_open trying to open file
> http://kyrill.ias.sdsmt.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/testAll/TSA_RCP85_CONUS_1920-2100.nc4
>
> This happens with other OPeNDAP-strored files as well.
>
> All is well when working in the unix environment.  Windows, not so much.
>
> I have JFGI’ed for solutions that don’t involve Cygwin and am not finding
> much of a solution.
>
> Is the problem with the developer of the R package or is the Windows
> libraries not OPeNDAP-compatible by virtue of existing on the Windows side of
> the game.
>
> Otherwise is there a solution that does not require downloading everything?
>
> (And yes, I’ve pounded the table bringing in Macs as an official species of
> laptop.  They keep saying no.)
>
> Cheers and Thanks Much
> Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@xxxxxxxxx>
> Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences Program Coordinator
> Civil and Environmental Engineering
> 201 Mineral Industries Building
> South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
> 501 East St Joseph Street
> Rapid City, SD 57701-3995
> Ph: +1-605-394-1994   Mobile: +1-605-484-4692

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst