Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF OPeNDAP , R and Windows

Hi Bill,

I'm the developer of the R package ncdf4. I recently received a message
from  Peter Herman <Peer.Herman@xxxxxxxxxxx> on this subject, and I suggest
you might want to correspond directly with him, as I believe he has
developed a solution for accessing OpenDap files with ncdf4 under Windows.
Below is my message to Peter for context:

----

Dear Peter,

I thank you for your herculean work on this task. Having tried to go
through some of this kind of work before, I know that it is not easy!

The way that the R project folks have chosen to set up the R project, I am
not allowed to submit or provide any libraries, for example for Windows. (I
assume they take this approach for security purposes.) The procedure is
that I submit the generic source code, and then R project personnel (I'm
not sure who) use that source code on a Windows machine they have to
compile/create the binary windows version of the ncdf4 package. So I do not
have any input or influence on the Windows package building process.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the central part of the changes you had
to make were in the Windows compiling part. So I unfortunately must direct
you to the R project folks if you'd like to get your changes incorporated
into the final ncdf4  windows binaries, as I have no influence on that part
of the process.

Of course, if there are some changes needed to the generic source code to
support the Windows build, I can put those in the part of the package I
maintain.

With regards,

--Dave