[noaaport] 20110421: Corrupted data with the NOAAport DVB-S2 signal

Hi Gilbert, et. al.,

A quick update on DVB-S2 testing here at the UPC...

We received and installed our Novra S300 receivers on this past Tuesday,
April 19.  We configured one of the receivers for DVB-S use and the other
for DVB-S2 use.  Two of the three NOAAPort reception machines we operate
here in Boulder remain ingesting the DVB-S datastream and powering
(along with other community machines) the IDD.  The third system is
ingesting the DVB-S2 datastream and feeding all of its data to a UPC
test machine on which all data are being decoded by McIDAS-XCD decoders.

Our experience so far is that the quality of the data being delivered
by the DVB-S2 broadcast is measurably worse than that delivered by the
DVB-S datastream meaning that we are seeing lots of Gap messages and
missing lots of products.

rtstats comparisons of the two datastreams can be made by viewing the
'volume' and/or 'products' links for machines ingesting each type of
broadcast:

DVB-S
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?jackie.unidata.ucar.edu

DVB-S2
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?burns.unidata.ucar.edu

The reception quality as indicated by Novra 'cmcs' output on our DVB-S2
machine is good:

CMCS 192.168.1.20> show satellite
        Satellite Interface Settings:

        Receiver MAC Address:   xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
        Receiver Mode:          DVBS2
        Frequency:              1142.0 MHz
        Symbol Rate:            15.120 Msps (Auto)
        ModCod:                 2/3 8PSK
        Gold code:              0
        Input Stream Filter:    On
        Input Stream ID:        13

        Signal Lock:            On
        Data Lock:              On
        Uncorrectable Rate:     0/Second
        Packet Error Rate:      0.0000e+00

        Carrier to Noise C/N:   15.3dB
        Signal Strength:        -46 dBm

CMCS 192.168.1.20>

This coupled with the large number of Gap messages we are seeing suggests
that there are (still) problems with DVB-S2 uplink system.  This agrees
with comments made in a previous announcement by NOAA:

  NOXX01 KWBC 181358
  WHAT - SBN/NOAAPORT EXPANSION AND HARDWARE UPGRADE
  DATE - APRIL 18, 2011
  NOTICE - 007

  SBN ACTIVATION INFORMATION - APRIL 18 2011
  THE NEW -SBN/NOAAPORT- SIGNAL WAS ACTIVATED
  AS OF 04/18/11 - 1300Z.

  NOTICE-NOTICE-NOTICE-NOTICE-NOTICE-NOTICE
  DUE TO UNEXPECTED INTERNAL PROCESSING PROBLEMS
  ENCOUNTERED OVER THE WEEKEND, THE OPERATIONAL
  DEPLOYMENT HAS BEEN PLACED ON HOLD BY THE NWS
  TILL FURTHER NOTICE.  THE DUAL ILLUMINATION
  WILL CONTINUE AT THIS TIME, BUT WE ARE
  ENCOURAGING OUR CUSTOMERS TO ONLY USE THE
  DVB-S2 SIGNAL FOR TESTING PURPOSES TILL A
  RESOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED THIS
  WEEKEND HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED. IF YOU ENCOUNTER
  PROBLEMS OR HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE REPORT THE
  PROBLEM TO THE NOAAPORT SUPPORT TEAM /SEE EMAIL
  ADDRESS BELOW/.

  IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO
  CONTACT US VIA EMAIL AT THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS

  NWS.NOAAPORT -AT- NOAA.GOV

Like everyone else testing DVB-S2, we are eager to see a resolution of
this problem!

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

  • Search the noaaport archives: