Re: [python-users] siphon help

Adam,

OPeNDAP is a tool for remote data access that allows you to access portions
of a dataset/file without the need to download the entire thing. Given
that, I'm not sure there's any need for you to install Tomcat and run your
own THREDDS server. For accessing the data from THREDDS using OPeNDAP, all
you need are:
- siphon
- netcdf4-python

The siphon examples you mentioned use CDMRemote (cdmr) access only because
that's built into siphon itself. To access the Level 3 NEXRAD products
using OPeNDAP, this should suffice, where we're replacing the `Dataset`
class pulled from `siphon.cdmr` with one pulled from `netCDF4`. Here's a
complete example:

from datetime import datetime
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
from netCDF4 import Dataset
from siphon.radarserver import RadarServer, get_radarserver_datasets

ds = get_radarserver_datasets('http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/')
url = ds['NEXRAD Level III Radar from IDD'].follow().catalog_url
rs = RadarServer(url)

query = rs.query()
query.stations('FTG').time(datetime.utcnow()).variables('N0Q')

catalog = rs.get_catalog(query)
ds = list(catalog.datasets.values())[0]
data = Dataset(ds.access_urls['OPENDAP'])

rng = data.variables['gate'][:] / 1000.
az = data.variables['azimuth'][:]
ref = data.variables['BaseReflectivityDR'][:]

x = rng * np.sin(np.deg2rad(az))[:, None]
y = rng * np.cos(np.deg2rad(az))[:, None]
ref = np.ma.array(ref, mask=np.isnan(ref))

fig, ax = plt.subplots(1, 1, figsize=(9, 8))
ax.pcolormesh(x, y, ref)
ax.set_aspect('equal', 'datalim')
ax.set_xlim(-460, 460)
ax.set_ylim(-460, 460)