Re: [python-users] NEXRAD level 2 access question

  • To: "Lampl, Adam" <alampl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [python-users] NEXRAD level 2 access question
  • From: Ryan May <rmay@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 12:41:12 -0700
Adam,

If you're working with level 2 data, I'd advise you to make your life easy
and use PyART, which is the Python ARM Radar Toolkit:
https://arm-doe.github.io/pyart/

You can install that from the conda-forge channel for conda:

conda install -c conda-forge arm_pyart

At the URL above, they have a good set of examples, including one that
shows multiple variables:
https://arm-doe.github.io/pyart/dev/auto_examples/plotting/plot_nexrad_multiple_moments.html

All you need to do is talk to THREDDS, which you can do by replacing
`read_nexrad_archive` in the example above with `read_nexrad_cdm`, and pass
it the OPeNDAP URL.

Ryan

--
Ryan May, Ph.D.