[python-users] Python @ Unidata: April

Here's the goings on in the world of Python Unidata:

-- Upcoming Regional Python/AWIPS workshop in Madison, WI --
We will be in Madison, WI (at the University of Wisconsin) putting on a
Python and AWIPS workshop 5-7 June 2017 (plus a hackathon on the 8th).
Registration closes on May 26th. For more information, see:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/python-focused
-software-training-workshop1

For the workshop materials, visit:

https://unidata.github.io/unidata-python-workshop/events/madison2017.html

We've been hard at work refreshing our workshop notebooks, so even if
you've seen them before, there's new stuff to be found if you take a look.

-- SciPy 2017 --
The early bird registration deadline for SciPy, the annual conference on
scientific Python, is coming up May 22nd. This is a great opportunity to
spend a week (2 days tutorials, 3 days talks, 2 days sprints) learning more
Python tools and meeting the people behind them. Unidata developers Ryan
May and John Leeman will be there talking about MetPy. The conference is
10-16 July 2017 in Austin, TX. For more information, see:

https://scipy2017.scipy.org/ehome/index.php?eventid=220975&;

-- MetPy Releases --
In April, MetPy 0.5.0 was released with new features. Highlights:

- **API BREAK**: `lcl()` now returns both the pressure and temperature at
the lifted condensation level, rather than just pressure. Not only does
this simplify the use of `lcl`, but comes at no additional computation cost.
- Supported Python versions: added 3.6, dropped 3.3
- Galleries of symbols and color tables within the documentation
- SkewT improvements
- Added meteogram and 4 panel plot examples
- Wind speed and direction available directly from upper air data
- More calculations:
- `GINIFile` now has an `img_extent` attribute to simplify plotting
- Added `reduce_point_density` function to remove overlapping points from
point data plots like `StationPlot`

0.5.1 was also released to fix a few minor issues. Full release notes for
both are available at:

https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/releases

MetPy packages are available for Conda on the conda-forge channel, and for
pip from the Python Package Index.

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/metpy
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/MetPy

-- Regional Python Workshops --
This month saw Unidata put on two regional workshops featuring Python, one
at Millersville University in Pennsylvania and one at the University of
Oklahoma (at the National Weather Center).  Over 40 people attended these
workshops, learning to use siphon, MetPy, and the rest of the scientific
Python stack to make their lives easier.

As always, we welcome your questions and feedback.

Until next time,

Ryan

--
Ryan May, Ph.D.