Re: THREDDS/DLESE Connections slides

John Caron wrote:

> [...]

We have built a prototype crawler that crawls a DODS site given the URL
for the site and finds all DODS files at the site. The problem is that
it has no way at present of differentiating between files in a data set
and the data set itself. At our site (a satellite archive) there are
currently in excess of 50,000 files and will soon be in excess of 100,000.
This makes sorting out the information returned by the crawler difficult
at best. (In situ archives can have 100,000s to millions of files - one
per xbt depending on the organization of the site.) Steve Hankin's group
is working adding the ability to group files into data sets. I believe
that he is working with the GCMD on this.

> The situation with ADDE servers is somewhat different. You can (more or
> less) query the server to find out whats available, but this collection of
> information takes a while (eg 8 minutes for complete image data on unidata's
> ADDE server), too long for interactive (eg MetApp) access.

But you still have to know the URL for the server itself. I assume that
there is more than one server? If that is the case there needs to be a
high level list somewhere of server sites. This high level list could
just as well be a list of data set URLs (where there might be a number
at a given site - back to the DODS data set list). Is your concern
currency at the directory? This is the issue that we hope to address
with the crawler. In fact, we hope to take the crawler one step farther
by adding a web page in the htdocs directory that says "I'm a DODS
server, here I am". A crawler can then not only crawl a given site
but when combined with a network crawler, crawl the entire network.
Well, not really, the way I see such a harvester is that it would use
existing repositories (dogpile, yahoo,...) to find server sites and
then direct the site crawler to crawl the sites.

> In both cases the role of THREDDS might be the middleware that does data
> discovery on the servers to provide fast responses to the clients.

Yes, this is a possibility.

> I am looking forward to hearing more about data search and discovery at the
> developers meeting. We hope to corner Dan and see how his work might relate
> to THREDDS catalogs, and if we can merge our efforts in some way.

Sounds good to me.

> > 2) I could find very little information on APPE. Do you have a URL for a
> > site where it is described?
>
> Its ADDE (Abstract Data Distribution Environment, I think). Hopefully Tom
> Yoksas or Tom Whittaker can provide a good URL.

Sorry for the typo; I looked up ADDE when I did the web search.

--
 Peter Cornillon
  Graduate School of Oceanography  - Telephone: (401) 874-6283