Re: Parsing and missparsing XML

Hi Benno,

Benno Blumenthal wrote:

> In looking through my logs, I noticed that fastsearch.net has managed
> (somehow) to find  my thredds directory, but seems to be misparsing it.
>

> The top of the directory is at
>
> http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/thredds.xml
>
> and that file has lines in it like
>
> <catalogRef xlink:title="DASILVA"
> xlink:href="http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.DASILVA/thredds.xml"/>
>
> The robot is hitting  urls like
>
> http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.DASILVA/thredds.xml"/
>

> which I am presuming to mean that it does not understand the   '/>' notation
> to end the tag.
>

> Are we using a non-standard xml notation?   I was just following the example I
> was given.

No, that is standard XML. Perhaps the crawler is confused by the differences
between XML and HTML. But even so, I would think it would stop for the '"'.
Maybe the crawler would do better if there were a space before the "/>" but
either way is valid XML.

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                       Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                    Fax:       (303) 497-8690