Re: New Release

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Ramesh_S_Mantri wrote:

> Robb,
>    I just tried to compile the new Java code. There were some errors
> such as a link to RandomAccessFile in your home directory, something
> about not finding Grib2JpegDecoder and so on.

Ramesh,

i tried to be clever but it backfired on me. the new tar file should be ok
now.

> I tried to build the previous version and it was fine. So I'll try to make
> use of that version for now. I'll let you folks know of my observations.
>
> I have a question for you folks, I would appreciate it if someone would
> answer it. When we were dealing with using existing toolkits to
> generate overlays, we realized that GMT and GrADS required some
> different information (by way of attributes, lat/lons etc). So we had to
> write separate code to output data into NetCDF files in the formats
> required by these toolkits.
>
> I am fairly new to this stuff and my knowledge is limited and am picking
> up info in bits and piecese. So I could use some help.
>
> I was told that FNMOC has its own convention for converting GRIB files
> to NetCDF. We are looking for a scheme to write out GRIB files in
> NetCDF format. Which is why I was hoping we could use your decoder
> to convert all GRIB files (regardless of the source) to NetCDF. Is that
> a feasible plan?

the correct path would be to use the gribtonc program out of the decoders
package for conversion. the main purpose of the gribtonc decoder is to
convert NWS model data to netCDF but it should work on others such as the
FNMOC data.  the procedure is to create a cdl file from the data using the
gribtocdl program and then convert the file to netCDF with gribtonc. there
are man pages about these programs in the release.  also, after creating
the cdl file it can be modified to add the global attributes needed for the
display  packages before converting to netCDF.

 We would prefer that since it could save us quite a
> bit of time (unless we have no alternative to writing our own decoder).
>
> Please let me know. Thank you for the help.
> sincerely,
> Ramesh
>
> On Friday 27 May 2005 09:29 am, Ramesh_S_Mantri wrote:
> > Robb,
> >    at the link below, it says "Unidata provides a set of decoders for
> > NOAAPORT METAR, ship/buoy, synoptic, and upper air observations and
> > NCEP model GRIB messages. Output format in all cases is netCDF files."
> >
> > I have a question. I suppose some other models such as those run at
> > FNMOC also produce data in GRIB format. Does your decoder process
> > only those GRIB files produced by NCEP, or all GRIB files regardless of
> > the source?

sure, it should convert most grib1 type files using above stated process
but cdl might needed some mods before conversion.

robb...

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/