Re: [Fwd: Re: display of metadata html]

Carl Wolfteich wrote:
This sounds like it could work, but there is a difference in Time Coverage that I'm not sure is compatible with this. For example in the first dataset, it shows the time coverage as about 17 months which covers the period from the first day of recorded data in 1987 till the last data recorded in 1988. But at the granule level in this dataset, the time coverage would be only one day since the resolution of this dataset is daily. So in this sense the metadata is not completely inherited from the parent dataset down to the granule level because the time coverage shows different information. If the time coverage is given again at the granule level would this supercede the time information from the parent metadata and thus present the same metadata except for the time differences? Thanks for your help.

yeah you can override any metadata at any nested level.

John Caron wrote:

you currently have (schematically):

<catalog>
 <dataset>
   <metadata/>
   <catalogRef/>
 </dataset>
 ..
</catalog>

could instead have:

<catalog>
   <catalogRef/>
   <catalogRef/>
 ..
</catalog>

and the catalogs referenced by catalogRef have the metadata in them:

<catalog>
 <dataset>
   <metadata/>
 </dataset>
 ..
</catalog>
Carl Wolfteich wrote:

I do have the CatalogRef in the top catalog for each dataset, like this for the first on the list:

<catalogRef xlink:title="SSM/I Pathfinder Wind Speed - Level 2" xlink:href="http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/JPL054.xml"/>

but do you mean just to add this in another way so that it shows up as a link on the html page for metadata? In a previous version this showed up on that metadata page as a link, but are you saying there is a way to add it such that it is displayed on the parent data html? I thought I could add it as a link under documentation, but maybe there is a better way to do this.

thanks
Carl

John Caron wrote:

I am looking at your catalog at

 http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml

i am wondering what if you put just the catalogRef in this top catalog, and then add the metadata to the referenced catalog? That would make things slightly easier.
I will also look at adding a link back to the catalog from the dataset.

Carl Wolfteich wrote:

Actually, using my catalog as an example, I was thinking that the parent dataset "metadata" (html) page like this first one:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml&dataset=SSM/I%20Pathfinder%20Wind%20Speed%20-%20Level%202

would have a link in it to its CatalogRef:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/JPL054.xml

and also in reverse, a dataset node like this:

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/cataloggen/catalogs/JPL054.xml&dataset=1987-217

would have a link back to its parent metadata page (first page given above):

http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.xml&dataset=SSM/I%20Pathfinder%20Wind%20Speed%20-%20Level%202

In your example it would be the same as having a link from your data node:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml&dataset=NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km/DGEX_Alaska_12km_20051221_0000.grib2

to this html page for the parent dataset:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml&dataset=NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km

What do you think, is at least one of these links pretty doable? Thanks again.

Carl

John Caron wrote:

carlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Late in the day, probably didn't make myself very clear. We felt that online users who accessed the catalog might find themselves navigating within these html pages. And as a convenience, if they were on the parent dataset page (for a particular dataset) where the complete metadata is presented, we wanted to make it easy to directly go to the CatalogRef listing for that dataset without going back to the main thredds catalog page at http://dodsdev.gso.uri.edu/thredds/ and linking through there.

so a catalog like

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml

should link to its parent catalog:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/dgex_model.xml

??

And the other potential link I referred to would be down at the granule level. On our present catalog, if you go down to metadata at the granule level, which is accessed by the links in the CatalogRef element for each
dataset, we were suggesting a
link down at this granule level back up to the parent dataset (metadata) page that I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

so a dataset "node" like

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html?cmd=subset&catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml&dataset=NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km/DGEX_Alaska_12km_20051221_0000.grib2

should link to its containing catalog, like:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalogServices?catalog=http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/model/DGEX/Alaska_12km/catalog.xml

??

If thats what you mean, that seems reasonable, the second one is easy to implement, but Im not sure if the first one is; catalogs dont know who their parents are, if they exist, and the parent doesnt have to be unique.