Re: FW: Catalog generator crawling remote OPenDAP/DODS servers - thank you!!

  • To: Bas Retsios <retsios@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: FW: Catalog generator crawling remote OPenDAP/DODS servers - thank you!!
  • From: Ethan Davis <edavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:13:35 -0600
Hi Bas,

Bas Retsios wrote:
Hello Ethan,

Thank you for your suggestions!! For now they have helped me sufficiently so that I can continue on my own for a while.
Great.

I have one important point to add (because it took me a while to find it): To achieve the "recursive crawling" that I needed, I had to make sure that "StandardCatalogBuilder" is called with a "new BooleanCatalogRefExpander(expandAll = true)". I did notice that StandardCatalogBuilder was called from two places (DirectoryScanner and DatasetScanCatalogBuilder) but the existing code and test calls had expandAll = false.
Yes, sorry about that, the documentation is a bit sketchy. I've added that to my documentation list.

We don't do any recursive crawling in the TDS (users end up stepping through one collection level at a time) and, as you say, it looks like all our tests are for single level catalogs. I believe that some of our code uses DirectoryScanner to build multilevel catalogs. So, hopefully you won't run into any bugs in the building of multilevel catalogs. Let me know if you do.

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690