Re: New Model Ag Service for TDS

Hi Dan:

dan.swank wrote:
John:

I've tinkered with the new GRIB aggregation, made a few subsets.
I noticed some funky x/y coords in the data dump :
Y begins at -832.6982610175619 (?) and X @ -4226.1069969154705.
Noitced in the definition that the units are Kilometers...
(from what reference lat/lon ?)

These are projection coordinates, in "km on the projecction plane". The
projection is defined by

  char Lambert_Conformal;
    :grid_mapping_name = "lambert_conformal_conic";
    :standard_parallel = 25.0; // double
:longitude_of_central_meridian = -95.0; :latitude_of_projection_origin = 25.0;

following the CF-1 conventions. This is the projection contained in the GRIB
file.

The particular client I used to access this (GrADS) cannot decern this
x/y spatial cooredinate.  It is expecting them as lambert grid relative
x[1:x] etc.

Not sure weither this is something that can be configured
with the aggregation, but it certainly would be nice to have the option
to use grid relative x/y coords.

sorry, I dont know what "grid relative x/y coords" are?

Other than this, I see the TDS handles the varying Z dimension
across variables quite well.  Does it still require the
files to be homogenous?  Or will it scan each one for the
forecast hour = <specified> header tag ~ and use that?

Yes thats the intention, to not need index homogeneity, but to use the times in
the GRIB files and make it all work nicely. The GRIB files require another
level of XML configuration, to make it all work. We are hoping to work closely
with all to get this figured out, and ill explain in more detail then.

-Dan