Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Forecast Model Run Collection Aggregation prototype available]]

  • To: "Glenn.Rutledge" <Glenn.Rutledge@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Forecast Model Run Collection Aggregation prototype available]]
  • From: "dan.swank" <Dan.Swank@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:10:16 -0400
This will be a challenge for sure.
The NARR, for example, will be an aggregation of ~75000 grib files.
Stored in a basic ./YYYYMM/YYYYMMDD tree.  The recursive datasetScan
tag added recently helps a ton with this.  Some of our datasets have
forecast hours, some don't.  Doing n forecast hour aggregation across
the 00hr will help termendously with all of them, however.
While it works wonderfully for NetCDF, I cannot see the NcML agg.
working with this set of data ~
mainly due to the changing reference times.

According to NCEP, our NAM & GFS will soon be foreced into GRIB2.
But NCDC-NOMADS NWP it currently entirely a GRIB-1 archive.
Only recently home-grown NCDC datasets are created in NetCDF.

For NAM & GFS, we have about 6 months online, which comes out to
about 700 file when stripped to a 1 forecast time
(say 00hr) aggregation.  But there are 61 forecast times for GFS, and 21
for NAM.

-Dan

--
Dan Swank <dan.swank@xxxxxxxx>
NOMADS Project:  Software & Data Management