Fwd: CUAHSI Observations Data Model

Hi all,

The US hydrology community represented by CUAHSI  (Consortium of
Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Sciences, Inc.) HIS
(Hydrologic Information System) has drafted a document called "CUAHSI
Community Observations Data Model Working Design Specifications."
These design specifications are targetted at a relational database for
hydrologic point datasets that are collected at distributed hydrologic
observatories.  David Tarboton welcomes input from the THREDDS and OGC
communities, so I'm forwarding his message which has pointers to the
draft specifications and a questionnaire.

I am struck by the fact that the THREDDS group is developing storage
and access systems for the same sort of point/station observations via
our traditional netCDF approach

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/UnidataObsConvention.html

and the OGC Sensor Web Enablement (SWE) initiative addresses many of
the same data access issues from the perspective of standards-based
interfaces.

http://www.opengeospatial.org/pt/06-046r2

So we have two discipline-oriented communities of practice developing
very different approaches to data storage and access issues for
datasets that have many common characteristics and a group working
with evolving international standards in the same general area.  If
you look at the diagram in "The Middle Ground" section of

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/GALEON/Phase2Connections/FeaturesFilesScientificDataModels.htm

these projects are classic examples of the stovepipe foundations and
-- hopefully -- the conduit pipe between them.

I thought each group should at least be aware of the work of the others.

In addition, if any of you have input for David Tarboton, he welcomes
it before January 31st and has specific requests for feedback in the
questionnaire that he points to.

 David Tarboton <dtarb@xxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks.
-- Ben