Re: Question about CDM

G'day Pauline....

You might strong consider using the "CF Conventions" for your NetCDF
files.  These were set up for model data and are widely accepted and
understood.  You may find out details here:

<http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/CF-current.html>  and
<http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/conformance-req.html>

There is an on-line compliance checker at:
<http://titania.badc.rl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl>

Further, if you cannot change the files,you might be able to use the
NCML to effectively 'rework' the structure into CF compliance -- I do
this occasionally when I get a netCDF file that is not compliant or
imcompatible with the application I'm using.

The "toolsUI" suite is good at showing the structure and has
facilities for creating and editing NCML if you need to.  There is a
download for this off the Unidata NetCDF-Java page:
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/>

Hope that helps....I'm sure others will chime in as well...

Best wishes,

tom