Re: [thredds] thredds v3.16 and symbolic links to catalogues

Hi Knut,

There are a number of places in the TDS where symbolic links may break things. I hadn't realized this one before. The problem has to do with how we make sure malicious (or accidental) URLs with "../" path segments don't get out of the TDS configuration file area (content/thredds). Basically, we call java.io.File.getCanonical{File|Path}() and make sure the result is under content/thredds. Unfortunately, besides dealing with "../" path segments, getCanonicalX() also resolves symbolic links.

Redoing the tracking and validation of the config content is on our list of things to do (and would probably include dealing with symbolic links or making it optional). Unfortunately, it is not currently at (or even very near) the top of the list.

Ethan

Knut Arild Lisæter wrote:
Hi John,

Our "main" catalogue is placed under content/thredds, in that file I have placed a number of links (catalogref) to catalogues which lie in content/thredds/catalogs - we did it this way to keep things "tidy" and it has worked well in version 3.14.

Some of the catalogues under content/thredds/catalogs are symbolic links, and it is for those I get the error messages I mentioned when I switch to version 3.16. Just to test I tried to copy one of the linked files into content/thredds/catalogs and then works with 3.16 - so 3.16 seems to be picky about symbolic links

The solution is obvious, avoid links and copy everything into content/thredds/catalogs, but for various reason we would like to keep the current setup if possible. If you would like to have a closer look on our setup, go to:
http://topaz.nersc.no/thredds/catalog.html

Hope this made it  a bit clearer :-)

Best Regards,
Knut

John Caron wrote:
Hi Knut:

Currently you need to keep TDS config catalogs under content/thredds.

I assume these are "config catalogs", not just other catalogs you want to
reference from a catref?

By "symbolic link" do you mean you tried to link another directory under
content/thredds ?? If so,
im surprissed it wont follow a symbolic link correclty....

Knut Arild Lisæter wrote:
Hi,

I tried to update to thredds version 3.16 today, but it seems that symbolic links to catalogues are not allowed in this version? In logs/ catalogErrors.log I get many errors of this type

initCatalog(): Path <catalogs/mersea-ip-class2-arctic.xml> points outside of content path </home/apache-tomcat-5.5.25/content/thredds/> (skip).

Is there a quick and easy way to allow symbolic links pointing outside of the "content path" ?

Best Regards,
Knut Lisæter