Re: [thredds] datasetFmrc question

Hi Mike,

Sorry about the documentation. I'll try to get that fixed up and make our catalogs part of the documentation in some way. In the mean time, below is a snippet from our NCEP model data catalog.

Hope that helps,

Ethan

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; name="Unidata THREDDS Data Server"
version="1.0.1">

 <service name="latest" serviceType="Resolver" base=""/>

 <service name="fileServices" serviceType="Compound" base="">
   <service name="ncdods" serviceType="OPENDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/"/>
   <service name="HTTPServer" serviceType="HTTPServer"
base="/thredds/fileServer/"/>
   <service name="wcs" serviceType="WCS" base="/thredds/wcs/"/>
   <service name="ncss" serviceType="NetcdfSubset" base="/thredds/ncss/grid/" />
 </service>

 <service name="fmrcServices" serviceType="Compound" base="">
   <service name="ncdods" serviceType="OPENDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/" />
   <service name="wcs" serviceType="WCS" base="/thredds/wcs/" />
   <service name="ncss" serviceType="NetcdfSubset" base="/thredds/ncss/grid/" />
 </service>

 <dataset name="NCEP Model Data">

   <metadata inherited="true">

     <serviceName>fmrcServices</serviceName>
     <authority>edu.ucar.unidata</authority>
     <dataType>Grid</dataType>
     <dataFormat>GRIB-1</dataFormat>
     <documentation xlink:href="http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/modelinfo/index.html";
xlink:title="NCEP Model documentation" />
     <documentation type="rights">Freely available</documentation>

     <documentation type="processing_level">Transmitted through Unidata Internet Data
Distribution.</documentation>
     <documentation type="processing_level">Read by CDM Forecast Model Run
Collection.</documentation>
     <creator>
       <name vocabulary="DIF">DOC/NOAA/NWS/NCEP</name>
       <contact url="http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/";
email="http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/mail_liaison.shtml"; />
     </creator>
     <publisher>

       <name vocabulary="DIF">UCAR/UNIDATA</name>
       <contact url="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/";
email="support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" />
     </publisher>
     <creator>
<name vocabulary="ADN">National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)/National Weather Service (NWS) National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP)</name> <contact url="http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/"; email="http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/mail_liaison.shtml"; />
     </creator>
     <publisher>

       <name vocabulary="ADN">University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
(UCAR)/Unidata</name>
       <contact url="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/";
email="support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" />
     </publisher>
     <timeCoverage>
       <end>present</end>
       <duration>7 days</duration>
     </timeCoverage>

   </metadata>

   <dataset name="Global Forecast System (GFS) Model">
     <metadata inherited="true">
       <documentation type="summary">NCEP Global Forecast System Model, previously
called AVN/MRF (Medium Range Forecast)</documentation>
       <documentation xlink:href="http://meted.ucar.edu/nwp/pcu2/avintro.htm";
xlink:title="COMET MetEd (Meteorology Education and Training) documentation" />
       <documentation
xlink:href="http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/html/model_changes.html";
xlink:title="NCEP Model Notes" />
     </metadata>

     <datasetFmrc name="NCEP-GFS-Alaska_191km" collectionType="ForecastModelRuns"
harvest="true" path="fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Alaska_191km">
       <metadata inherited="true">
         <documentation type="summary">NCEP GFS Model : AWIPS 203 (J) Grid.
National - Alaska (polar stereographic).
           Model runs are made at 0, 6, 12, and 18Z, with analysis and
forecasts every 6 hours out 5 days.
           Horizontal = 45 by 39 points, resolution 190.5 km, Polar
Stereographic projection.
           Vertical = 1000 to 100 hPa mandatory pressure levels (10 levels);
surface, height above ground, pressure layers.
         </documentation>
       </metadata>

       <netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2"; >
         <aggregation dimName="run" type="forecastModelRunCollection"
fmrcDefinition="NCEP-GFS-Alaska_191km.fmrcDefinition.xml" recheckEvery="15 min">
           <scan location="/data/ldm/pub/native/grid/NCEP/GFS/Alaska_191km/" suffix=".grib1"
dateFormatMark="GFS_Alaska_191km_#yyyyMMdd_HHmm" subdirs="true" olderThan="5 min"/>
         </aggregation>

       </netcdf>
       <fmrcInventory location="/data/ldm/pub/native/grid/NCEP/GFS/Alaska_191km/"
suffix=".grib1" fmrcDefinition="NCEP-GFS-Alaska_191km.fmrcDefinition.xml" />
    </datasetFmrc>
  </dataset>
  ..
</catalog>

Godin, Michael wrote:
I see that the motherlode server in fact has opendap (and NetcdfSubset) servers behind it's forecast model run views... So is there any chance the server-side catalog.xml files from motherlode can be made public? I've been experimenting with catalog.xml versions for a few days, and simply can not get datasetFmrc to work correctly (neither can I get NetcdfSubset to give anything but a 404 error). In light of the observation that the examples in the documentation on the Thredds web site tend to leave out important details, making them almost impossible to use as templates, it would be incredibly useful to see examples of actual production xml.
I imagine there's a large number of potential thredds administrators who simply
get turned off because it's so hard to get a first implementation working, so
sharing production xml could go a long way towards promulgating thredds.

Regards,
Mike

Seems I've had had an extra bowl of Grumpy-Os this morning.