[thredds] content/thredds permissions using repo tomcat

Hi All;

I'm trying to set up a production thredds server on a ubuntu server
(tomcat6, sun-java6, ubuntu server 8.10). I (and my sysadmin) would prefer
to use the OS repository's tomcat install, instead of downloading from
apache, in order to keep the upgrade process smooth.

I cannot get 3.17, nor 4.0, to generate the content/thredds directory when
deployed inside of ubuntu's tomcat. Using 3.17, upon deploy, the logged
error is:

> java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
/var/lib/tomcat6/content/thredds/logs read)

(More of the stack trace is below). I'm interpreting this error to mean that
the content/thredds/log files that didn't get created cannot be read from.

I've made /var/lib/tomcat6 (my CATALINA_BASE) owned by the user running
tomcat. I've even successfully deployed thredds in another tomcat and copied
the content/thredds directory into /var/lib/tomcat6/ to no avail.

The ubuntu repository provided init script for tomcat uses jsvc to start
tomcat. I believe that if I just run tomcat as root, it'll work. The
tutorial documentation describes running tomcat as the same user that owns
all of the files in the tomcat install. Is this completely necessary?

What files and directories do need to be writable by the user that's running
tomcat? Any other suggestions?

Much Thanks,

Isaac Vetter
Data Architect
College of Science
Purdue University

Mar 12, 2009 10:36:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
/var/lib/tomcat6/content/thredds/logs read)
        at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java
:323)
        at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:546)
        at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:532)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:871)
        at java.io.File.exists(File.java:731)
        at thredds.servlet.ServletUtil.initLogging(ServletUtil.java:86)