Re: [thredds] Support for GeoTIFF?

  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Support for GeoTIFF?
  • From: Pauline Mak <Pauline.Mak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:30:42 +1100
Hi John,

Thanks for that :) I've been told that there's a Java wrapper for GDAL, which would mean all we have to do is to write the IOSP. Anyhow, either myself (or the developers) will surely keep you posted on what we're doing :)

Cheers,

-Pauline.

John Caron wrote:
Hi Pauline:

NJ library can write GeoTIFF in a limited number of projections, but theres no
support for reading
geotiff into the CDM. It could be done if someone wanted to write the IOSP.

Its hard to write a general GeoTIFF reader well because of the thousands of
projections one would in
principle need to support. Also, theres no canonical way to store time and
vertical levels, and no
one apparently in charge of the standard for many years now. For these reasons
we have decided not
to invest much time into that format.

If I had to do it I would consider a jni interface to GDAL.

Pauline Mak wrote:
Hi all,

I've been asked to check whether TDS supports GeoTiff files from one of
our clients.  They have thousands of these files and would like a nice
way to aggregate them to serve it out.  I tried adding a file to the TDS
catalog, but it wasn't able to read the file (invalid NetCDF file).
However, in the NetCDF javadoc, there is a geotiff class.  Then looking
at the NetCDF Java 4.0 feature list, it has only listed *generation* of
GeoTiff files.  Is it likely that TDS will support GeoTiff sometime in
the future?  I did also find a few pages with GDAL OPeNDAP Server, but
can't seem to locate a copy of the server that I can install and have a
look at...

Cheers,

-Pauline.

--