Re: [thredds] TDS 4.0 on RHEL5

Greetings,

I'm going to chime in on this at the risk of missing the point entirely. I haven't seen the whole thread (gobbled by a spam filter) but I think this may be rekated to a problem we had with RHEL5 and Tomcat.

I'll quote from my earlier support email for the Hyrax/Tomcat issue:

I have just spent sometime with another user that was having very similar problems, but with RHEL5. I realize that RHEL5 is not quite the same as Fedora 9, but the Tomcat installations look similar.

We grabbed a fresh version of Tomcat 5 (5.5.27) from here: http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi , Unpacked it, installed the opendap.war file, started Tomcat, and it all worked as it should.

After doing a bit of sleuthing we discovered that the Tomcat start up scripts distributed with RHEL5 didn't correctly configure the Java CLASSPATH and Tomcat was not finding libraries (That have been bundled with the Java Runtime since Java 2!) used by the OLFS.

So there are two solutions for RHEL5:

1) Get a fresh Tomcat from here: http://tomcat.apache.org and use that.

OR

2) Get the xalan-2.7.1 libraries from here: http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/ Unpack them and install the jar files "xalan.jar" and "serialize.jar" by copying them too /usr/share/tomcat5/commons/ lib, or too /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/opendap/WEB-INF/lib

This may not be a patch for your system. But I suspect it's the problem. The simplest test is to do #1.

If that works, and keeping it that way isn't practical because of system administration issues, then work out #2

And if you run into issues there then let me know. I would really like to see you up and running.

Hopefully that's not too far off topic....

Nathan