From: Pauline Mak [mailto:pauline.mak@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:18 AM
To: Serra, Mr. Efren, Contractor, Code 7542
Cc: thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [thredds] Feedback for ncWMS/TDS integration

Hi Efren,

Serra, Mr. Efren, Contractor, Code 7542 wrote:
> Pauline,
>
> I was wondering if you use ncWMS in the context of GODIVA2.  I can't
see
> how ncWMS or a WMS in general would fit in the context of
oceanography.

ncWMS is a server written by Jon Blower from the University of Reading.
   GODIVA2 is browser interface that is also part of this server.  As
far as the integration goes, we only integrated the code for WMS and not

the user interface (godiva).  Although, we have added godiva specific
methods such that resources on a WMS enabled THREDDS server can also be
configured to be used by the godiva client.

I'm only a software developer, so I don't know how to answer your
question about WMS and oceanography!

(I'm now responding to your other email)  Funnily enough... back in a
previous life of mine, I wrote a WMS handler for the Live Access
Server... ;)  Seems like things are merging together, as I believe LAS
can now be configured with the THREDDS catalog.

Yes... It is true - WMS doesn't work particularly well with some of our
datasets (think Argo).  These, however, are much more applicable to Web
Feature Service (another OGC standard).  I suspect GIS software like
MapServer has that capability (and I believe they can also take in
NetCDF files too?)

I'm not sure if I have answered your question...

Cheers,

-Pauline.

--
Pauline Mak