[thredds] TDS4 Memory settings: PermGen?

THREDDS folk,

I see that these is a TDS tutorial updated August 6 at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Projects/THREDDS/tech/tutorial/index.html

In the section on "Installing Java and Tomcat" I see that it's recommended
to create a setenv.sh script in the <tomcat>/bin directory with these

JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx256m -Xms256m -server -Djava.awt.headless=true"

I've noticed that on our TDS4 installations, I often get a "PermGen" error
which causes tomcat to hang.    On this page:
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF29/Fix+Out+of+Memory+errors+by+Increasing+Available+Memory#FixOutofMemoryerrorsbyIncreasingAvailableMemory-PermGenSpaceParameters

I read:

Heap space memory errors will contain only a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. If
you get the error message: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space this
means that you have exceeded Java's fixed 64Mb block for loading class
files. You will need to add the argument -XX:MaxPermSize=256m to JAVA_OPTS,
in addition to any argument you use to set the heap size.
PermGen Space Parameters

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m  -Djava.awt.headless=true
"

So I've set this my setenv.sh file for my Tomcat installation to read:

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -server -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Djava.awt.headless=true "

I have no idea yet whether this will help, as I just added the MaxPermSize
parameter today.   Anybody else have experience with PermGen problems
running TDS4 and know if this should help or how to avoid in the first
place?

Thanks,
Rich
--