[thredds] how to incorporate GDS catalog into TDS?

Dear THREDDS community,
I would like to incorporate a few datasets from an external GrADS Data Server
(GDS) Catalog into my existing TDS Catalog. What is the best method of doing
so? To rule out the obvious, I tested adding a simple "catalogRef" to the
external GDS catalog in my local TDS catalog, which failed. Is the THREDDS
Catalog Generator the way to go? Thanks for any suggestions!
Best Regards,
John Maurer
---
Hawaiʻi Ocean Observing System (http://hioos.org)
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST)
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa