[thredds] use of "variables" metadata and odd appearance on TDS catalog page

Hi All,
When I add variables in the metadata section of my TDS catalog, they appear on
the TDS catalog page with a mysterious blank entry such as: "temp = =
sea_water_potential_temperature (Celsius)". What can I add to get the "= ="
filled in? I don't find anything in the documentation about an additional
parameter, such as description or long_name that might fill this in. Here is
the example metadata entry in my catalog:

<metadata>
  <variables vocabulary="CF-1.4">
    <variable name="temp" vocabulary_name="sea_water_potential_temperature"
units="Celsius" />
  </variables>
</metadata>

Also, I noticed that FMRC aggregations automatically populate these metadata
from the NetCDF files themselves while in other datasets I have to explicitly
add the above metadata entries myself. (And incidentally, FMRC catalogs don't
have this missing "= =" problem.) Would be nice if this was automated for all
datasets.
Thanks!,
John Maurer
Hawaii Ocean Observing System (HiOOS)