[thredds] status of NetCDF Subset Service for Point Data?

Hi THREDDS Folks,
For online on-the-fly generation of time-series plots, data are often needed in
XML, CSV, or JSON. I have used the NetCDF Subset Service for gridded data at a
particular point for retrieving a time series in these formats, which is very
useful. I would like to do the same for the point/station datasets in my TDS.
What is the status of the prototype "NetCDF Subset Service for Point Data" in
terms of it becoming available for us to use?:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/interfaceSpec/StationDataSubsetService.html

Right now, I'm instead investigating the use of the OOSTethys NetCDF Java
Toolkit implementation of OGC's Sensor Observation Service (SOS) for my
purposes (which I can point to my TDS) but finding it full of problems and
difficult to use.
Thanks!,
John Maurer
Hawaii Ocean Observing System (HiOOS)