Re: [thredds] Re-enabling a auto-scaling defaultColorScaleRange in ncWMS

Hi Heiko,

The only difference between the behaviour of ncWMS and THREDDS in this
respect is that ncWMS will automatically scan each dataset and deduce a
"sensible" colour scale range for each variable, then save this in the
config file ($HOME/.ncWMS/config.xml).  THREDDS has no such background
process for scanning datasets (at the moment), so you have to enter this
information manually in wmsConfig.xml.  (You can use THREDDS' built-in
Godiva2 client to help you work out sensible defaults if you like.)

Both of these mechanisms set the *default* colour scale range for each
variable.  This is used if the COLORSCALERANGE parameter is omitted, and
hence allows backward-compatibility with standard WMS clients.  An
"auto" colour scale range is quite different, and sets the scale range
on a per-image basis.  As you say, this isn't particularly useful except
for quick-looks and debugging.

See http://www.resc.rdg.ac.uk/trac/ncWMS/wiki/WmsExtensions for full
details of the COLORSCALERANGE parameter in ncWMS.  THREDDS behaves
identically, except from the point of view of configuration, as
described above.

I know this is a little confusing - sorry about this.  If you configure
your colour scale ranges manually (sorry) in wmsConfig.xml your external
WMS users should be able to access your images without a problem.

(One day we might be able to port the ncWMS dataset-scanning mechanism
to THREDDS, but we're concerned about performance and scalability.
THREDDS servers can have a *lot* of datasets.)

Hope this helps,
Jon