Re: [thredds] [uaf_tech] Re: oceanotron, in-situ profiles through OPeNDAP interface

Hi Steve,

I am not sure if I get what is ERDDAP exactly is, but I think, in the oceanotron approach, the ERDDAP protocol for in-situ data would be a point feature opendap front-desk (ie interface for the users). We already have developed internal transformation which can transform 2-levels features (profiles, pointSeries, trajectories) into simple points feature as disseminated in ERDDAP. So this could be easy to add the ERDDAP front-desk to Oceanotron and disseminate any supported dataset through this interface.

For the inverse way, I am not sure if this would be efficient or useful to re-assemble the 2 level features from ERDDAP 1 level feature. We would rather take them as point features and re-disseminate it as-is (point features) in other protocols if required.

I fully agree with your idea of focusing on point features to quickly reach a given interoperability level, as : 1. this point feature structure is enough for many users (from what I know : satellite calibration/validation, numerical model assimilation), 2. this allows a mid-term range work on 2 level features standardization (profile, timeSeries, trajectories) for more advanced users. 3. this approach does not mean the in-situ data managers/providers should store or manage their in-situ data as points but only disseminate them as point.

I'll be very happy to be able to reach interoperability with your latest tools, and oceanotron has been designed to allow extension to various protocols (and rather focus on the standardization observation data models). The hard point is now to manage (with time or funding, or both) the numerous interesting protocols to be implemented for in-situ datasets !

Best regards,

Thomas

PS. ncStream looks interesting as well.