Re: [thredds] aggregation caching: cache cleared when Tomcat restarted?

On 12/14/2010 7:45 PM, John Maurer, IV wrote:
Hi All,
I recently upgraded to TDS 4.2. A few of my datasets use a joinExisting NcML aggregation, such as:

<aggregation dimName="time" type="joinExisting" timeUnitsChange="true">
<scan location="/export/lawelawe1/model/tide/netcdf_data/mhi/elev/" suffix=".nc"/>
</aggregation>

I've noticed that these take several minutes to load the first time I try accessing them in TDS (such as clicking on the OPeNDAP service) each time I have restarted Tomcat. Does this mean that the aggregation cache is being wiped when I restart Tomcat? I have set my aggregation caching in threddsConfig.xml as so:

<AggregationCache>
<scour>24 hours</scour>
<maxAge>30 days</maxAge>
</AggregationCache>

This led me to believe that the cache would persist for 30 days, regardless of restarting Tomcat. Is that an incorrect assumption or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
John Maurer
Hawaii Ocean Observing System (HiOOS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hi John:

1) Yes, this says every 24 hours, remove files with lastModified date > 30 days. If your aggregations are more permanent, change to a longer time, or set scour to -1 to not scour at all.

2) Look under content/thredds/cache/agg:

each joinExisting should have an XML file in there. the content should be sort of obvious, send it to me if not. anyway, it will get updated when the file collection changes. otherwise, it should survive a restart and should make things fast if most of the files havent changed.

let me know if it seems something is not working as described.