Re: [thredds] aggregation / arithmetic between variables

On 04/01/2011 10:13 AM, Ivan PRICE wrote:

Hi again,

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, i am looking around before asking these..

My next problem is that I'd like to define a 'virtual variable' that is the result of simple operations on existing variables, for example a new variable that is the sum of 2 existing ones.

I have read all about aggregating between datasets and over dimensions such as time, but i think this is different. My goal is to have a virtual WMS layer that is the result of the relationship between existing variables.

Does this sort of functionality exist at this stage, or should i be pre-processing the dataset before the thredds stage ?

This functionality is available with the Ferret-THREDDS Data Server. It's a little tricky to install as a stand-alone service, but it can be done and you can use it to define complex virtual variables based on the existing variables.

Info: http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/LAS/documentation/the-ferret-thredds-data-server-f-tds Me droning on about it: http://ams.confex.com/ams/89annual/techprogram/paper_146288.htm (link to the talk is at the bottom).

Roland

cheers and have great weekends

-i