[thredds] TDS performance and NetCDF file size

Hello, I'm was wondering if there is a rule of thumb on NetCDF file sizes in
TDS? I'm building a catalog of regional model data and I'm faced with the
decision of structuring my files as one variable/file or all variables/file.
The all in one approach would likely create files between 5-10Gb in the worse
case scenario. Are there any performance drawbacks with large files,
specifically WMS and NetcdfSubset? Are there any upper limits on file size
NetcdfSubset can create? I saw there were some large file size problems last
May using HTTPServer, but I expect to primarily use NetcdfSubset so users can
cherry pick the variables they're interested in.

Thanks

--
Jay Alder