[thredds] NetCDF-ToolsUI, IDV

Greetings

I have some questions regarding the way that IDV and ToolsUI are deployed via
webstart. I have been caching the prototype .jnlp files in my distribution and
modifying the arguments as needed on a per request basis. This implementation
lacks flexibility when the application host site upgrades to a newer version
(and removes the older one). I see that on motherlode the IDV jnlp bundle now
references a "current" version of the codebase
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/current/webstart)  and that the
resources (jar files) are loaded based on content held at the application site:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/current/webstart/IDV/idvbase.jnlp

This seem like a much more flexible plan. Is it something that will also be
done for NetCDF-ToolsUI?

Alternatively, someone pointed me at the way that AutoPlot handles it's jnlp
generation. They host the application files and a cgi that you pass the
arguments to as part of the query string, it hands back a JNLP with the
arguments filled out and pointing to their most recent version  of the AutoPlot
application.

http://autoplot.org/jnlp.cgi?uri=http://cdaweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/sp_phys/data/fast/acf/1998/fa_k0_acf_19980102_v01.cdf

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks,

Nathan

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        +1.541.231.3317