Re: [thredds] NetCDF-ToolsUI, IDV

On Mar 24, 2012, at 11:34 AM, John Caron wrote:

> Hi Nathan:
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding.
>
> Both ideas below sound interesting. Im not clear exactly how you are using
> the jnlp. Are you doing the same thing the TDS does to allow viewers to start
> up with a particular opendap dataset URL?

Well, probably I'm doing the same thing the TDS did a some point in the past. :)

Currently I deploy Hyrax with prototype JNLP files for each application (Well
not AutoPlot, as I described below). Dereferencing a web start link associated
a dataset causes Hyrax to grab the prototype JNLP, edit the command line
arguments for the webstart application, and then return the file to the
requesting client.

> Can you send me an example Hyrax URL that fetches the jnlp?

Here's the viewers page for a dataset served on Hyrax:

http://test.opendap.org:8080/opendap/webstart/viewers?dapService=/opendap/hyrax&datasetID=/coverage/mday/PH2006060_2006090_ssta.nc

The IDV link returns a useful JNLP because the the JNLP basically points to the
latest version and the resources are described in a file held on the IDV
server. So when the update the version and change the jar dependancies the
"world" doesn't have to get a new JNLP file.

The ToolsUI link returns a stale JNLP because the version referenced by the
prototype JNLP file bundled in Hyrax references an older version of the NetCDF
ToolsUI, which depends on a file that is no longer hosted at the UNIDATA site:

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException:
    Unable to load resource:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/v4.2/webstart/bufrTables.jar

Does that help?

Also I edited my spastic description of AutoPlot…

> John
>
> On 3/15/2012 1:04 PM, Nathan Potter wrote:
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> I have some questions regarding the way that IDV and ToolsUI are deployed
>> via webstart. I have been caching the prototype .jnlp files in my
>> distribution and modifying the arguments as needed on a per request basis.
>> This implementation lacks flexibility when the application host site
>> upgrades to a newer version (and removes the older one). I see that on
>> motherlode the IDV jnlp bundle now references a "current" version of the
>> codebase (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/current/webstart)  and
>> that the resources (jar files) are loaded based on content held at the
>> application site:
>> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/current/webstart/IDV/idvbase.jnlp
>>
>> This seem like a much more flexible plan. Is it something that will also be
>> done for NetCDF-ToolsUI?
>>
>> Alternatively, someone pointed me at the way that AutoPlot handles it's jnlp
>> generation. They host the application files and a cgi that you pass the
>> arguments to as part of the query string, it hands back a JNLP with the
>> arguments filled out and pointing to their most recent version  of the
>> AutoPlot application.
>>
>> http://autoplot.org/jnlp.cgi?uri=http://cdaweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/sp_phys/data/fast/acf/1998/fa_k0_acf_19980102_v01.cdf
>>
>> Any thoughts about this?

Alternatively, someone pointed me at the way that AutoPlot handles it's jnlp
generation. They host the application jar files and also a cgi to which you
pass the command line arguments as part of the query string. The cgi responds
with a JNLP file in which the command line arguments are filled out, and all of
the resources are pointing to their most recent version  of the AutoPlot