Re: [thredds] Java to Python tools

Hi Sean:

It is still unclear what you folks are trying to do. If you want to just have
the present (or modified version) of the netcdf-java called from Python, then
something like jpype  might be the answer, though i can't say I have any
experience with how well it works. Alternately, just start with existing python
libraries, like Pydap and the netcdf4 library for python and add capabilities
to that.  Pydap has a lot of features built in besides just the DAP protocol.

-Roy

On Apr 4, 2012, at 7:13 AM, Sean Arms wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> One of the goals is to expose the CDM to cPython (so Jython is out). We see
> many of our users (myself included) are/have moved to a
> cPython/Numpy/Scipy/Matplotlib environment for scientific analysis of their
> data, and it would be great to give them access to the CDM without rewriting
> everything in cPython.
>
> Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Sean
>
> On 04/04/12 07: 38, stephen.pascoe@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> The important question is why you need Python.  If it's to access some C
>> library with python bindings (e.g. numpy or netCDF4-python) then Jython
>> isn't appropriate and you'll need one of those Python<->bridges JPype or
>> Jepp.
>>
>> If you need the very latest Python features (particularly Python 3) you'll
>> also find Jython is a bit behind CPython.  Many standard Python frameworks
>> now work with Jython (e.g. Django, SQLAlchemy) but you'd have to check the
>> compatibility of each dependency.
>>
>> Otherwise Jython is the most popular and well maintained choice.
>>
>> Depending on your application you could also wire Java and Python together
>> using inter-process communication.  There is a plethora of RPC libraries out
>> there with good Python and Java support.  E.g. protocol buffers.
>>
>> Stephen.
>>
>> ---
>> Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
>> Centre of Environmental Data Archival
>> STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst