Re: [thredds] nco as a web service

Hi all,

I saw the recent posts about NCO services:

I know this isn't an NCO list, but I belong to enough lists and groups,
don't feel like joining more, and am lazy. There has for quite some time
been discussion about adding server side functions, and there are several
possible solutions presently offered. But a relatively simple possibility
for some of the basic operations that people want to do, and with a tool
that people already use and is scriptable, is to use NCO. Has any ever
thought of tried to set up NCO as a web service? Just thinking.

This got me thinking about adding these kinds of services to RAMADDA. I've
started with the weighted average, e.g.:
http://ramadda.org/repository/entry/show/Home/RAMADDA+Examples/Geo-Data/Gridded+Data/gfs80.nc?entryid=b835f612-5975-468f-86af-16e1a8e25219&output=nco.ncwa

This will create a new netcdf file and return it to the user. If you are
logged in you can also publish the results back to ramadda.

This was a Sunday morning project so it is real new and there isn't any
documentation yet but I'll be firming it up this week and adding support
for the other operators.

If you're unfamiliar with the NetCDF services provided by ramadda it also
supports grid subsetting, time series extraction from grids, metadata
harvesting, opendap and IDV-based server-side visualizations. Just look in
the Data menu on the above page.

If there are any folks that are interested in these kind of services drop
me a line - I'd like to hear what else might be needed.

-Jeff