Re: [thredds] nco as a web service

On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:19 PM, Doug Lindholm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been implementing "filters" for our LaTiS server
> (http://lasp.colorado.edu/lisird/tss.html) using the OPeNDAP (DAP2) URL
> "function" syntax. For example,
>
> http://lasp.colorado.edu/lisird/tss/american_sunspot_number.csv?&thin(10)&format_time(yyyy-MM-dd)
>
> It's not ideal, but it's a start. DAP2 says very little about functions.
> Maybe DAP4 could say more.
>
> I'd also strongly suggest that people think about Functional Programming
> paradigms. I suspect that such formalisms will lend themselves better than an
> OO biased approach.

I've been thinking about just this topic for some time. I am pretty certain
that a functional language is the way to go. While the DAP2 specification say
little about server functions, Hyrax does come with a few and the parser &
evaluator does support composing functions. In addition there are two groups
now working on server functions that perform some significant operations:
unstructured grid subsetting and satellite data reprojection (satellite corrds
to mercator, ...).

I'd certainly be interested in talking about this stuff more.

James