[thredds] 4.2.10 memory scalability issues

Hi,

the TDS version 4.2.10 is presenting some scalability issues when serving many files over static catalogs.
The following entry is in the threddsConfig.xml:
 <Catalog>
   <cache>false</cache>
 </Catalog>

The config and a heap dump can be found here: http://cmip3.dkrz.de/test/
The thredds instance is running here: http://cmip3.dkrz.de/thredds

To sum up my findings:
If a few files are re used, a large number of static catalogs can be generated without triggering memory problems (i.e. 20.000 Catalgos per GB memory) However if each catalog points to ~40 different files, the number decreases considerably (i.e. ~1800 Catalogs per GB)

The limiting factor seems to be the number of files which implies there's something being cached regarding them (file objects? Paths?)

This is limiting considerably the usability of the TDS for holding CMIP5 replicas.

Thanks,
Estani

PS: Thanks John for pointing me to the correct email list.