http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.3/UpgradingTo4.3.html

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

On 01/30/2013 10:45 PM, John Maurer wrote:
Hi Pauline,
I've run into the same thing. In my case I was able to isolate the problem to aggregations only (NcML or FMRC). Below is my e-mail to thredds-support on Jan 8th with further details. I presume Unidata is still looking into it...
John Maurer
Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *John Maurer* <jmaurer@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jmaurer@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Subject: WMS GetCapabilities broken in TDS 4.3 for all aggregations
To: support-thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:support-thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi THREDDS support,
In TDS 4.3, the WMS GetCapabilities URL produces a "HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error" for all of my NcML or FMRC aggregation datasets. It works fine for non-aggregated datasets, however. Although GetCapabilities fails for aggregations, I noticed that other WMS requests continue to work fine (GetMap, GetMetadata, GetFeatureInfo), because the Godiva2 viewer continue to produce plots. Can you look at this problem? I have been holding off upgrading to TDS 4.3 in our production server because of this hang up.

Here is the version of TDS I am running in our testbed: Version 4.3.15 - 20121218.1126

Here are links to three aggregated datasets whose WMS GetCapabilities fail:

  * [FMRC] SWAN Apra Harbor Regional Wave Model:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/catalog/hioos/model/wav/swan/apra/catalog.html?dataset=swan_apra/SWAN_Apra_Harbor_Regional_Wave_Model_best.ncd
          +
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/wms/hioos/model/wav/swan/apra/SWAN_Apra_Harbor_Regional_Wave_Model_best.ncd?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities
  * [FMRC] NCOM Global Ocean Model:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/catalog/pacioos/ncom/global/catalog.html?dataset=ncom_global/NCOM_Global_Ocean_Model_best.ncd
          +
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/wms/pacioos/ncom/global/NCOM_Global_Ocean_Model_best.ncd?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities
  * [NcML] Big Island Regional Tide Model:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/idd/tide_mod.html?dataset=tide_bi
          +
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/wms/hioos/tide_bi?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities

Here are links to three non-aggregated (non-temporal) datasets whose WMS GetCapabilities work fine:

  * ETOPO5 Global Surface Relief:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/idd/bathymetry.html?dataset=etopo5
          +
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/wms/etopo5?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities
  * Main Hawaiian Islands Multibeam Bathymetry Synthesis: 50-m Bathymetry:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/idd/bathymetry.html?dataset=hmrg_bathy_50m_mhi
          +
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/wms/hmrg_bathy_50m_mhi?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities
  * Distance to Nearest Coastline: 0.04-Degree Grid: Ocean:
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/idd/dist2coast.html?dataset=dist2coast_4deg_ocean
          +
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/wms/dist2coast_4deg_ocean?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities

The log file (threddsServlet.log) has had nothing to report on the errors. The only kind of message that it reports is this:

2013-01-08T10:35:54.216 -1000 [ 1582559][ 147] INFO - threddsServlet - Remote host: 128.171.151.240 - Request: "GET /thredds-test/wms/pacioos/ ncom/global/NCOM_Global_Ocean_Model_best.ncd?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities HTTP/1.1"

Thanks for your help!,