[thredds] References for OPeNDAP usage in Scientific Community

Greetings!

I'm interested in getting a feel for how widely or frequently used OPeNDAP is in the scientific community (or even just the atmospheric sciences). I've been searching for most of the morning and am struggling to find any (recent) articles that discuss just how much OPeNDAP is used from a client standpoint.

I see statements that there is a broad community of OPeNDAP users, but it would be nice to see if there are data or references to support this claim. If no such references exist, I would be very interested in hearing experiential or anecdotal accounts from data providers or users on this list with regard to OPeNDAP usage.

Many thanks!

-kevin.

--
Kevin Manross