[thredds] aggregating GFS data, problem with accumulated and averaged variables

Dear Thredds users,

we run thredds version 4.3.16 and use it to deal with GFS forecasts
gracefully from ferret and other software.  We use an ncml file to
catenate all time steps (one grib2 file per step) into a single
dataset.

Most variables work fine, but there is a problem with the averaged and
accumulated variables such as precipitation.  These switch between
3-hourly and 6-hourly accumulations, as can be seen by opening the
individual grib files with thredds.

+03, +09, +15, etc:
Total_precipitation_surface_3_Hour_Accumulation

+06, +12, +18, etc:
 Total_precipitation_surface_6_Hour_Accumulation

When opening the aggregated dataset, I only get the
Total_precipitation_surface_3_Hour_Accumulation variable, however it
only has 1 time step (+03).

It appears that thredds or the underlying netcdf/grib library doesn't
deal with the aggregated and averaged variables properly anymore.
This worked (more or less) with thredds 4.1.4, where the accumulation
interval wasn't appended to the variable name and thredds just
combined them.

Is there anything we can do or try to make this work?  I don't mind
having to re-compute 3 hourly accumulation values by hand, but at the
moment we can't access any data past +03 hours into the forecast.

Thanks for your advice!
Kind regards,
     Hein Zelle

The NCML file looks like this (but much longer until +192):

<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";>
  <aggregation dimName="time" type="joinExisting">
    <netcdf location="/ncep/gfs/0.5deg/gfs.2013060500/gfs.t00z.pgrb2f00"
coordValue="0"/>
    <netcdf location="/ncep/gfs/0.5deg/gfs.2013060500/gfs.t00z.pgrb2f03"
coordValue="3"/>
    <netcdf location="/ncep/gfs/0.5deg/gfs.2013060500/gfs.t00z.pgrb2f06"
coordValue="6"/>
    <netcdf location="/ncep/gfs/0.5deg/gfs.2013060500/gfs.t00z.pgrb2f09"
coordValue="9"/>
    <netcdf location="/ncep/gfs/0.5deg/gfs.2013060500/gfs.t00z.pgrb2f12"
coordValue="12"/>
  </aggregation>
</netcdf>

--

Dr. Hein Zelle
Senior consultant meteorology & oceanography

Tel:        +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:        +31 (0)527-242016
E-mail:     hein.zelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS b.v.
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse, the Netherlands
Postal address: P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove, the Netherlands

Registered in The Netherlands, Registered no. 39060160.

Unless otherwise agreed by BMT ARGOSS in writing, all work,
services, goods or products supplied by BMT ARGOSS shall be subject
to and governed by BMT ARGOSS' own terms and conditions which are
available for inspection from BMT ARGOSS on request.

E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to
copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or
its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and
clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.