[thredds] Metadata Xlink

Greetings,

I have a my catalog split up so that to server individual files (with standard TDS services) is in a datasetscan and to serve aggregations is in another catalog. (Needed to control/specify paths)

I would like to write one metadata file to share between the two so that I am only making changes once. I have been trying to make use of the <metadata xlink..> example found here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/catalog/v1.0.2/InvCatalogSpec.html#metadataElement (see example)

I have my datasetscan catalog like so:

     <datasetScan name="ds083.2"
                  path="RDADatasets/ds083.2"
                  location="/data/glade/p/rda/data/ds083.2">

<metadata xlink:href="http://rda.ucar.edu/metadata/thredds/temp/metadata_ds083.2.xml";
                          xlink:title="ds083.2 Metadata" />
        <filter>
            <exclude wildcard="*.html"/>
            <exclude wildcard="grib2" atomic="false" collection="true"/>
        </filter>
        <addDatasetSize/>
     </datasetScan>

But when I go to a file in this datasetscan, the only attribute from the remote xml file that seems to work is the
<serviceName>all</serviceName>

Everything else seems to be ignored. (Note: if I comment out the serviceName tag, I end up with a 404 when clicking on the datasetscan)

Am I thinking incorrectly about how the metadata xlink feature should be used?

-kevin.

--
Kevin Manross
NCAR/CISL/Data Support Section