Re: [thredds] Help with GRIB encoding - what is "reference time of data" ??

Hi John,

Yes JMA still issues GRIB edition 1 for:
- bulletins sent to GTS since long time ago, and
- the reanalysis project JRA-25 and JRA-55 (coming).
In the reanalysis there are some products like monthly average, for which
multiple model runs are used in a single message.  In that case my
understanding is that the reference time is set to the beginning of the time
range.

Situations are similar in GRIB2.  I'm hoping the ECMWF reanalysis will start
using GRIB2 sometime.  I'm afraid I don't know actual data using "Verifying
time of forecast" (CT1.2:2).

The reason why GRIB distinguishes "Analysis" time (CT1.2:0) and "Start of
forecast" (CT1.2:1) might be rather historic nowadays.  It has a root in the
difference between data, i.e. analysis and initialized analysis (sometimes
called data for ft=0).

Analysis is a best estimate of the state of the atmosphere, made from
observation and past numerical forecast.  In the past NWP centers used
methods called nudging or optimal interpolation (the latter is same as what
geographers call kriging).  The bad thing is the result may contain
inbalance between wind and pressure, which causes unnatural gravity wave in
the forecast.  So people had to remove such inbalance after analysis.  That
is the "initialization" heavily mentioned in GRIB edition 1.

Recent NWP systems use variational assimilation, which has less such
problem.  So the analysis simply becomes the initial field without much
changes.  I don't think somebody still issues "initialized analysis"
separated from "(uninitialized) analysis".  In GRIB edition 2, the concept
remains in a footnote in the Code table 1.4, but usually the analysis and
forecast are put in a single GRIB message for Forecast products (CT1.4:1).
In short, people no longer cares.

Best,
Eizi

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Caron" <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>