Re: [thredds] Fwd: Help with GRIB encoding - what is "reference time of data" ??

Reposting at John Caron's request:
-----------------
John,

I agree with Don.

Section 1 Octet 12 of GRIB2 files in most of the
 NCDC-nomads archive ~ are entirely
  = 1 "start of forecast".   There is a bit of semantics
there.. but I  believe this is intneded to be
analogous to the term "start of the model cycle's forecasts"

I think it is safe to assume it is a reference time when
this Octet 12 value is equal to 1.... or zero as well.
If its not 0 or 1.. more care needs to be taken.

Given the above is true...

In the case of a 12-24 hour valid time frame.
I would hope the start of time frame (P1) =12,
 end of time frame (P2) = 24, with a type of statistical
processing set to average.  These tiem frams are
defined in the PDS and are offsets to the reference time.

--
Dan Swank