[thredds] FMRC strange missing data regions

Hi TDS folks,
I'm seeing a strange problem with some of our new regridded ROMS ocean
forecast models that I'm hoping somebody can help me with. At certain time
steps, some regions are displaying values of 9.96921E36. From my
understanding, this is the value assigned (by NetCDF?, OPeNDAP?, TDS?) when
there was no data value. However, I can confirm in each of my NetCDF files
that the same slices contain valid data values. So the problem seems to
stem from the TDS side of things, where I am serving these as a Forecast
Model Run Collection (FMRC). Furthermore, I have already assigned a
_FillValue and missing_value of NaN, so the 9.96921E36 issue is something
else. More pieces to the puzzle are: (1.) no matter what file I test with,
it always occurs at the same time steps and regions; (2.) it shows up in
all variables (temp, salt, u, v); (3.) you can see this in Godiva2/ncWMS,
NetCDF Subset Service, and OPeNDAP. Ideas?? I'm stumped.

Here is my TDS testbed for this; I have been focusing specifically on the
Best Time Series:

http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/catalog/hioos/roms_forec/hiig/catalog.html

Godiva2 will show you an example of the problem if you navigate to
sea_water_potential_temperature on Feb 19 2014 at 18:00 at 0.25 meters
depth. As shown in the example image attached, there is a black rectangle
in the southeast corner where the values are all 9.96921E36. You can click
there to confirm this value is returned. (Strangely the "test image" for
the same day does not have this problem...)

Here is an OPeNDAP call within that same time/lat/lon/depth which shows the
9.96921E36 values:

http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds-test/dodsC/hioos/roms_forec/hiig/ROMS_Hawaii_Regional_Ocean_Model_best.ncd.ascii?temp[14][0][0:1:10][284:1:294]

I have staged a gzipped NetCDF file (1.4 GB) and TDS catalog via ftp for
you to test with:

ftp.soest.hawaii.edu
user: anonymous
pass: <your e-mail address>
cd jmaurer/unidata/
get ocn_mod_hiig.xml
get hiig_forec_20140208.nc.gz

Thanks in advance for your time on this!
Cheers,
John Maurer
Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa