[thredds] Update - Changes to thredds.ucar.edu

Greetings!

No April fools here (well, perhaps myself), but we have moved thredds.ucar.edu back to the older, 4.3 version. What this means:

1) Anyone scripting access to data from the netCDF Subset Service - the URLs are back to the old ones. We're sorry you will need to update things again. Hopefully you use version control and can easily roll back changes. Our sincerest apologies.

2) IDV Users, part 1: Everything should be back to how it was prior to last Friday. However, we will need to restart the TDS a few times each day, and this will result in thredds.ucar.edu being unavailable for short windows of time (things usually bounce within 2-3 minutes). If you notice that a collection has stopped updating, please let us know via email to support-thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

3) IDV Users, part 2: To facilitate user tests for upcoming changes to the Unidata TDS server, I've added a "test thredds update" plugin that will allow users to test their bundles against our test server before we switch over thredds.ucar.edu. This plugin is accessible via the "Tools -> Plugin Manager" interface, and lives under "Data Sources" category.

4) We will be internally reviewing our procedures and policies on how we handles changes like these that have an impact on the community. Part of this will involve a public testing period, but we will need participation from the community to help in this effort. A conversation will need to be had regarding the length of this testing period, and that discussion has already been started with our Users Committee.

We are deeply sorry about the problems this has caused, and we look forward to working with you as we prepare for the transition to TDS 4.5.

Cheers,

Sean