Re: [thredds] Help diagnosing server congestion

  • To: tom cook <tmcook@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Help diagnosing server congestion
  • From: "Phil Cogbill (NOAA Affiliate)" <phil.cogbill@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:46:47 -0400
You can use a blend of things, but these are the few that are most helpful.
 First off we minimize the amount of traffic to services that cause the
service to hang up like NCSS.  To "limit" the number of connections to NCSS
we use mod_limitipconn and reduce the number of connections per IP address
to the resource. So the NCSS urls only allow n number of connections per IP
address.  Tuning the memory is key.  TDS or tomcat or both act very oddly
when resources become scarce.  Make sure you have a good handle on how you
are allocating memory in your tomcat settings... if you are using tomcat.
If you have NCML aggregations, upgrade to 4.5.x and start using
FeatureCollections.  They do indexing ahead of time (similar to GDS) and it
finds the data much quicker and also  reduces the amount of IO wait you add
to your server's load.  There is a little more you need to do to migrate to
4.5.x, but it's worth the performance increase, especially with large
datasets.

Hope these suggestions help!

Phil

Phil Cogbill (Government Contractor)
Computer Programmer II, ERT, Inc.
National Integrated Drought Information System

National Climatic Data Center
Veach-Baley Federal Building
151 Patton Ave.
Room 355
Asheville, NC 28801-5001
Phil.Cogbill@xxxxxxxx
Desk: (828) 271-4474
Cell: (828) 419-0303

This electronic transmission contains information that may be internal
use only,confidential, or proprietary.  If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents hereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify Phil.Cogbill@xxxxxxxx