Re: [thredds] Java 8

Actually we picked up on Java 7 reaching its end of life based on an email that
John C. sent out awhile ago, and when we looked it up, that is what the java
pages say also.  So we have been transitioning our own servers, are testing
software to work with Java 8 and our recommending it because the “end of life”
notice probably means no support or fixes after that time

-Roy
On Nov 2, 2014, at 3:16 PM, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       • To: THREDDS community <thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       • Subject: [thredds] THREDDS and Java 8/Tomcat 8
>       • From: "Signell, Richard" <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>
>       • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:10:58 +0100
> Will THREDDS work on Java8/Tomcat 8?
>
> I notice that on THREDDS Installation Tutorial:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/tutorial/GettingStarted.html
>
> recommends Java 7/Tomcat 7.
>
> On the ERDDAP Installation instructions,
>
> http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/erddap/download/setup.html
>
> it says "1.8 is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED, because Java 1.7 will reach its
> end-of-life in April 2015".
>

> -------------
> Yes, it will work on Java 8, although it does not (yet) require it. We are
> transitioning to Java 8 here at Unidata, and I agree with ERDAP's
> reccomendation.
>
> John

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst